Finnish Residential Family Programs | All Ages
Concordia Language Villages will require all participants eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine to be fully vaccinated prior to arrival at a residential session, effective September 1, 2021. Read our vaccine FAQ for more information.
Finnish family programs allow grandparents, parents, children, aunts, uncles and cousins the opportunity to explore the Finnish language and culture together and to share experiences and build memories that will last a lifetime. The best part is simply being together in a beautiful setting where you can reinforce the importance of being a good citizen in our global community.
Week-long sessions are held during the summer, while weekends are held during the school year. You’ll enjoy delicious food and the same rich setting that is offered during the summer sessions for young people.
- Make birchbark crafts (tuohityö)
- Weave on our looms (kankaankudonta)
- Cook karjalanpiirakat
- Explore the Salolampi forest
- Play the kantele
- Sing familiar Finnish songs and learn new ones
- Relax in the hot sauna. Salolampi villagers love following the popular Finnish practice of enjoying the village’s sauna, followed by a plunge into Turtle River Lake or — depending upon the season — a roll in the snow.
- If you come during one of our winter programs, you may even get to try out favorite Finnish activities like cross-country skiing.
This is also an ideal way to prepare for a trip to Finland, learn more about the heritage of family members or prepare younger villagers for a stay by themselves. Stay with your family in cabins with bathrooms. Two or three families will be housed in each cabin. There is also limited single-family housing in the main building, with separate bathrooms.
Finnish family programs are located at Salolampi, our Finnish Language Village on Turtle River Lake near Bemidji, Minn.
Due to the generous support of the Salolampi Foundation, families can receive an automatic discount on summer Family Weeks with scholarships. Learn more.